Thursday, April 29, 2010
Today it is in the 80s and a nice breeze is blowing. It has been dry with low humidity, so it is nice. We still have 3 ewes to lamb. One is old Luthien who is bagging up, but probably will not lamb until May. The other two are 2 year olds, one is the lovely Ulani and the other Blackie. Neither one lambed as a yearling and Ulani may be pregnant, but Blackie I do not think so. We will have to wait and see.
We will be skirting fleece and sending it off to the processor. If there is enough, I would like to have socks made. I am thinking large and extra large socks, mid calf height. Let us know what you think. We will only be able to carry a couple of sizes and right now, everyone we know has big feet like me...
Oh, Mr Paul has fixed the water lines and we were able to move the cows to the back pasture. I had been fusing at Mr Paul for hitting the line with a trencher. When we dug it up, it had been crushed, more then likely by the fence builders when they put in the cross fencing. No matter... We now have water to the back pasture and several water access points to fill water quicker and finally put in the auto waters.
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
I am still not sure if our Shetland Ram will be able to breed. His penis was cut and he developed an infection and then had trouble urinating. I think we finally have him straight and hopefully he will be able to breed this fall. We also had a really nice Icelandic ewe lamb who lost a teat. Yeah.... and that is not all. I will be reshearing most of the flock due to the uneven, chunks of wool left behind. My disappointment in the shearing can not be expressed and the stress of almost loosing my ram is not worth bringing in another to shear. The young ewe had the tip of the teat cut off, which means I will be raising bottle babies off of her, which is added stress and work. I have put in for two weeks of Vacation in October and will be shearing the entire herd myself. I did it last spring and no one was missing any body parts. The awful weather last fall caused us to loose most of our prime Icelandic Fleece, which felts by spring.
We have had two sets of triplet Nigerian Dwarf kids from first time fresheners. They are both producing plenty of milk for the kids and all are doing well. All the yearlings we have For Sale have kidded. We will be selling some with their kids and some without.
We will be storing hay and this year plan to do all square bales, which are easier for me to handle. We have purchased a square baler and are ready to bale when the fields are ready. I hate round bales and really hate unwrapping them. I find they waste a lot of hay and the goats, forget it, they waste 50% of the bale. The goats climb on and have a field day tearing it up, urinating and deficating all over it. You can also bet whoever may have a bit of loose stool will have a blow out all over the bale as well...
We have also cleaned out the goat shed and put crushed ashfault down in order to keep the goats dry and out of the water if we get weather like last fall and winter. I had let the bedding build up to have a dry spot for the herd. The bedding is in a huge pile by the garden. We tried to burn it, but there is enough manure to not burn well and it has been smoldering for a week now. It will need to compost this year and maybe next year will be able to use it in the garden.