Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A late Happy Thanksgiving Everyone...
















We hope all had a great Thanksgiving.  I had the fortune to roast a Bates Turkey.  Of course I had to doctor it up a bit, after all, I can not help myself.  We purchased a free ranged turkey from Bates Farm located in Fort Deposit, Alabama.  Their website is:  http://www.batesturkey.com/.  Anyway, the turkey's are raised in a Pecan Orchard and are free ranged.  They do not use feed additives or antibiotics or hormones.  They are totally awesome.  They also have natural spiral cut hams which are wonderful as well.


The pictures above are of Hay Making which I have been trying to load for a bit now.  The horse in the picture is Mr Paul's Baby Girl, Big Bertha.  She is a draft horse.  We were able to harvest some of the hay into small bales, the begining of November.

We had a lot of trouble getting the hay this fall, with 6 1/2 inches of rain in November.  The garden has not dryed out enough to plant garlic and onions or greens.  We even brought in more dirt to fill it in and added goat do do, but it is still a muddy mess and more rain is coming.

My son has hooked me up to a new computer.... Yeah, a fancy, super fast, super dooper, monster.  Well, my photo programs do not work with it and my old computer is mad at me for switching to this new one.  So it has slowed down even more, cussing at me and taking it's sweet time to load anything.  My son was to hook the old computer to wireless and the new to the fast internet.  Yeah, well the darn thing does not work properly and I am having to switch cables which is a PIA.

Anyway, it maybe a bit before I can get any photo's to the BLOG.  My son is in the Airforce in New Mexico and it is a bit of a problem to get his behind back over here to fix things and make them right...  I am not computer stupid, but not a wiz like him and his uncle. My brother Mike was a Computer Genius.  Unfortunately he lived in Michigan and passed away in 2000 with a heart attack at 45 years of age.  I miss him dearly, because he was a Computer Wisper and could dial in and fix anything from anywhere...  My brother was one of those special guys you do not appreciate until they are suddenly taken away from you.   Especally when my computer is acting up...  My brother Mike was the first Computer Whisperer...  You know, like the Horse Whiperer... He had a way and knack, I can not explain.  Sometimes I think God needed him to work on his computers and that is why he was taken at such a young age... 


Well, If we can ever get this old computer to get over being POed, we have pictures of The Trump and Phantom, ready to be collected.  We are going to be the first folks in the United States to collect an Icelandic Ram for semen and freezing it in Liquid Nitrogen.  I hope to do both rams and my Boer Goat Buck, The Rock.  We have an appointment the 13 of December, north of Montgomery.  I also have pictures of Ariel, my Nubian and her awesome udder and Angel, one of my Nigerians and her awsome udder.  I know, the udder thing is weird, but when you are breeding for milk and milk production, the udder is the boss...

I am just going to use the old computer for the picture loads and posts.  I really need to off load a bunch of pictures and I bet the old computer will be a lot faster.

Oh, we have a ton of free ranged brown and blue/green eggs from our hens.  We have several dozen we are selling.  They are $3 per dozen if you bring back the carton.  If not, the next dozen is $4.00.  Those darn cartons have really gone up...  Anyway, the real free ranged eggs are wonderful.  The yolks are a bright orange yellow and the taste out of this world.  The free ranged eggs sold in the store, are not free ranged.  You will know immediately by the anemic yellow egg yolks.  My hens are loose with the protection of the guardian dogs.  They eat grass and the left overs from the goats and sheep and cows.  They are healthy and happy and lay in a 6 box nesting area I put out for them.  I suggest trying their eggs and you will know exactly what I am talking about...

This blog update is a bit late I know, but life moves a bit to fast for me.  We have pulled the rams from their breeding groups and most of the ewes are together with one clean up ram Ultram.  More about all that later and we hope you did not eat to much turkey.  I know I did....