Friday, January 23, 2015

HELLO TO EVERYONE!

It has been some time since I have Blogged.  We have not fallen off the face of the earth.  Lots going on and heading into a new level at Oldesouth Farm. We hope you had a great Holiday Season and 2015 is the year of the GOAT!  We have had some time off from milking and the next generation will begin to appear next week.  Back into the saddle and the kidding pens are ready.

We are reworking the milking parlor to milk two does at once and can bring 4 does in, clean them and begin to milk while the other two eat and are washed.  I am trying to speed up the milking process so more does can be milked.  I have 6 yearlings and 3 two year old does I want to fit into the milking string.  Currently I am milking one at a time and it takes an hour and 15 minutes to milk, 15 minutes to clean up.  I have 1 1/2 hours to milk and get to work.  I will get up 1/2 hr earlier to bottle feed.  Everything has to be on a schedule in order to fit it in. We will save a lot of time milking two at once and may work up to milking 30 in the same time frame.  Will see how it all goes.

We have had two yearling does make their milk Stars and Advanced Registry with both ADGA and AGS.

The doe to the left is Farm Oldesouth SD Dessee 3*M AR, 4*D AR.  She is the daughter of Rain-Beau.

This yearling doe is Farm Oldesouth Blessed Angel 4*M AR, 4*D AR, daughter of our lovely SG Oldesouth SR Cuppuccino 3*M AR, 3*D AR.

I like to breed my young does to kid as yearlings and milk them as long as we can stand to.  Then as second fresheners they milk like crazy.

I also feed my milking does for production.  It is much different then just feeding the girls.  I feed the girls on the stand and again when finished milking.  I like the Purina Products. This year we were able to get our hands on some nice Alfalfa and the girls milked double crazy.

Visit and LIKE our Farm Face Book Page at Oldesouth Farm Nigerian Goats.

We will be on Standard DHIR again this year and will LA our herd once more.  We are in the Performance Plus Program with ADGA and on DHIR for both ADGA and AGS.

We are working toward our TB and Brucellosis certification and will begin in March.  The entire herd will be tested.  Then in 2016 the herd will be tested once more and then yearly.  This will allow us to show in most states and not have to get a TB and Brucellosis which only lasts one month each time we head south into Florida.

Our Breeding schedule is posted for 2015 kiddings at our website:   www.oldesouth.citymax.com.

Have a GREAT GOAT YEAR!