Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spring to Summer...











Wow, another day of almost 90 degrees today. We have been busy shearing sheep in between ewes lambing. The above and to the left are our group of rams all sheared and lovin it. Gary, a friend of mine helped out and showed me how to shear on a stand without cutting the sheep. The shearing machine has very sharp blades and I hate to cut one. I am getting better and did my first one today without a cut.
The picture to the right is my new Shetland Sheep I have recently purchased. The ram is Dunkin and he is AI from England. It was pure luck I came across him for sale on the breed registry website. He is long and a beautiful ram, sired by Enfield Greyling, a very well respected AI sire from England. Dunkin has a huge set of horns, is extremely easy going and a lovely gray. I sheared him myself and his picture post shearing is above. The Shetlands remind me of mini icelandics with a very fine wool. The ewe in the picture is also a Shetland, Venus. I purchased her and her daughter when I went to Tenn. to get Dunkin. They are all three in isolation until I am sure they are OK to come out and have been wormed twice.
The pictures below are of Uma, one of my yearlings out of Havvah, an icelandic. She is standing in a hole and the picture is not great, but she lambed 4-25, a lovely black ewe lamb sired by the Trump. Uma is a triplet, polled white icelandic ewe. She just turned a year old and did a great job, lambing without assistance. The picture on the left is with her fleece and to the right, without. She is one of my shearing jobs, with only one nick on the other side. Uma is a nice, long ewe and meaty in the hindquarters. I will post better pictures of the baby when Uma lets me. She keeps herding the baby behind her.
Enough for now...