Thursday, December 4, 2008



Wow, this year has gone by fast! We have been hip deep in preparing to put in water lines at the farm. The weather has been unseasonably cold and today we had a cold rain all day. We need the rain, so that is OK. The winter grazing is up and about an inch and a half tall. It had been very dry, so the last couple of rains gave us over 4 inches, which the ground just soaked up and the planted seed has jumped.




Daisy, my Nubian doe kidded and to my delight had twin half Boers. They were both does (left picture) and one outstanding. But the next morning, I found the best one dead in the pen. More then likely she was trampled by another doe. This happens on occasion, but is disappointing to say the least. But the other baby doe is doing great and starting next week I will be milking Daisy for myself. This baby is only nursing off one side, so the other side will be mine.


I had sent off two hides from a couple of Icelandic Sheep to be tanned. I got them back today and they are spectacular. One was a lovely ram who died of pneumonia and the other a young ewe who died last summer of white muscle disease. I skinned them out and salted the hides, dried them and sent them off to the tannery. They did a great job and I am very pleased with the results. I will post a picture later.
An article was written about our farm and published in the Land Bank publication. It was really nice and show cased our lotion and soaps, as well as our Nigerian Goats. Another article came out in the local Co-op newspaper talking about my Icelandic Sheep. I will try and scan the articles into the computer and post them on the blog.
Enough for now, the above picture to the right is a group of sleeping baby Nigerians for you all to enjoy...
Take care and more later...